Skip to main content

Platonic Friendships

 

Photo by Peter Conlan.

Friends are a strange lot. The definition of friend changes over the course of our lives. It means different things to different people. We have different expectations for different friends.

When I was a child, a friend was someone I got along with and played with. Best friend was someone I did this with frequently and who I could also trust. Sometimes they broke my trust, but I’m sure I did the same.

Friendships evolved as the teen years arrived. I continued to have friends of both genders, but things became complicated by hormones. Inevitably, one side would develop a crush on the other. Ray, my best friend, and I thought we might be perfect as a couple since we were fantastic as best friends. We attempted a kiss while alone in his truck one Saturday night. Almost as soon as the kiss started it ended with both of us backing away immediately. We just gaped at one another. Slight disgust was apparent on both faces. We agreed it felt too familiar and to never attempt the experiment again. We needed to know to move past the big question and now could. He shifted to dating nearly every single girlfriend in my inner circle, one after the other. Like he was doing a taste test. Hilarious and none of the participants took any of the connections seriously. My friendship with this guy was invaluable. I learned a close, platonic friendship with the opposite gender was possible. This is the reason I still believe it is possible, though both sides must have the same intentions for it to work. I trusted him with my life. Eventually, his parents moved away, and we lost touch. I still miss him a great deal and sometimes wonder if we will run into each other again one day. I sincerely hope so. It would be wonderful to see the man he grew up to be. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Knit Patterns for Last Minute Gifts!

  Generations Purse Don’t panic if you need to make a gift quickly! Browse through this extensive list of ideas for small, free, fast, and cute knit patterns which are perfect as gifts! If nothing else, hopefully the list will inspire you on ideas! Have fun! I would absolutely love to see your finished projects in the comments section! And it would be fantastic to hear what patterns you think I should add to this list! Please let me know if you discover any patterns are crochet (oops!) or have a fee. They’ll be removed immediately as this list is just for free knit patterns.   Wee Knitting Needle Bag Knitting Needle Knitting Bag Lavender Sachet Simple iPhone Cozy, Two Ways "Grrr" Cute Funny Washcloth/Dishcloth Knitted Pocket Felted (1) Coin Purse or (2) Notions Purse "A Little Bird Told Me" Cute Small Handbag/Purse Christine Bag (this is really pretty!) Beginner's Luck Pouch Square Cake Wristlet Handbag/Purse The Little Coco Bag Swa

The Gaslighter — Haiku

  Contempt carves her soul He wants her pain to sustain His pleasure is cruel

Blind Hope is Magic - Haiku

  Blind hope is magic I won’t be stuck forever Deep breath, persevere Blind hope is my best weapon in surviving trauma and the depression episodes. During depression, I’m unable to envision experiencing joy once more. The blind faith takes away my fear of never escaping that black hole. If I am patient with myself, this trick works every time.  Photo is of a quick mixed media piece. I recommend mixed media art as a fantastic way to create little messages to yourself that you can put up on your mirror or fridge. As a reminder to show yourself compassion.  Or to provide yourself positive encouragement.