Skip to main content

Mount St Helens Memory


“Hell no, I won’t go!” is all I could think of as she blew her top, sending the mushroom cloud of ash and gases over 15 miles high into the atmosphere and 40 miles wide.

Harry R. Truman was on everyone’s mind on May 18th, 1980, when Mount St. Helen erupted. Our local legend and folk hero refused to leave his home, Mount St. Helens Lodge. He chanted that phrase repeatedly to the media and anyone who would listen. Harry was beloved by not only his friends and family, but by the entire Pacific Northwest. Before his death, he was already a celebrity and caused a media flurry. He attracted the attention of National Geographic, United Press International, and The Today Show. He appeared on the front pages of The San Francisco Examiner and The New York Times. Many other major magazines did profiles on him such as Newsweek, Life, Time, Field & Stream and Reader’s Digest.

They continued to pay tribute to him after his death. Oscar-winning actor, Art Carney, portrayed Harry Truman in the docudrama film St. Helens in 1981. They also commemorated him in a book, poems, in several musical pieces, and many songs, including those by Headgear, Billy Jonas, and Shawn Wright & The Brothers Band.

I was a few months shy of ten years old and often think of the eruption which decapitated this mountain. Harry remains tied to this mountain in my mind. I worried about him and wished he would leave when they asked him to. I was a kid that didn’t want this nice guy to perish. I asked my mom what happened to Harry that Sunday. She looked at me, her eyes sizing me up. I imagine she was figuring out how to tell her overly sympathetic daughter the news. She put her arm around me and told me calmly he didn’t leave the mountain. She let me arrive to my conclusion of his fate. My mind went to picturing him standing there and struck with pyroclastic flows. I did not comprehend his choice to pick death. I grasped a little better as an adult why an 83-year-old man who loved that mountain and his home made that decision. It was tough for a ten-year-old.  

We lived in Willamette Valley. Specifically, Salem, Oregon. We saw the plume from there, about 110 miles away. The eruption was audible farther than the 200 miles the scientists claimed. One account recorded was in Newport, Oregon.

As a child, I found the ash to be the worst. They closed the swimming pool in our townhouse apartment complex. It covered everything and everyone in ash. Cars, gardens, the pools, the world. The ash spread across the United States within 3 days and circled the planet within 15 days.

I was 14 years old when we moved to a five-acre piece of land out in the country, two miles outside of Salem, Oregon. It was about 500 feet higher in elevation than the city, as it was in the foothills. Our house had an unobstructed view of the entire Cascade Mountain range. I would gaze north and look at Mount St Helens and her flat top. She appeared peculiar among the other mountains with their sharp peaks. Stark reminder of that day and the later eruptions up through October that year.

I grew up hiking and camping on old lava beds. We would go swimming with the lake beach created from an old lava flow. This was my world. I flew back to Oregon in 2011 and our pilot let us know to look out on one side to see one of the Cascade Mountains spewing smoke that day as we were getting closer to Portland, our destination. Another day in this part of the world. The Cascade Mountain Range, or Cascade Volcanic Arc, is an active volcano mountain range. Occasional earthquakes are par for the course in our lives. Portland, Oregon sits at the foot of Mount Hood. It is one of five mountains they are watching to be the next major eruption in the chain.

People expressed, to me, how lucky I was to live through the eruption and its history. It is like many major events. You don’t want to live through it again. The next one may take exponentially more lives and be more damaging. Excitement comes with reality. It scared most of the population in the Pacific Northwest forty years ago when Mount St Helens erupted. I hope we do not have another devastating eruption in my lifetime.

Comments

  1. An absolutely amazing story Cindy, well done. The pictures are incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Knit Patterns for Last Minute Gifts!

  Generations Purse Don’t panic if you need to make a gift quickly! Browse through this extensive list of ideas for small, free, fast, and cute knit patterns which are perfect as gifts! If nothing else, hopefully the list will inspire you on ideas! Have fun! I would absolutely love to see your finished projects in the comments section! And it would be fantastic to hear what patterns you think I should add to this list! Please let me know if you discover any patterns are crochet (oops!) or have a fee. They’ll be removed immediately as this list is just for free knit patterns.   Wee Knitting Needle Bag Knitting Needle Knitting Bag Lavender Sachet Simple iPhone Cozy, Two Ways "Grrr" Cute Funny Washcloth/Dishcloth Knitted Pocket Felted (1) Coin Purse or (2) Notions Purse "A Little Bird Told Me" Cute Small Handbag/Purse Christine Bag (this is really pretty!) Beginner's Luck Pouch Square Cake Wristlet Handbag/Purse The Little Coco Bag Swa

The Gaslighter — Haiku

  Contempt carves her soul He wants her pain to sustain His pleasure is cruel

Goodbye, Best Friend

  I lost my best friend on March 30 th , this past Tuesday. She was fourteen years old and literally saved my life on more than one occasion. Her friendship was invaluable. Her soul changed my life forever. I love her so much and already miss her.  Today, I created art that represented who she was. Wise, non-harming, intelligent, loving, devoted, and so much more.  Thank you, Lilly, for being an amazing friend and honoring me with your love and kindness.