Skip to main content

Human Connections



I feel like one of the hardest things in my life is to find female friends who lift me up. My family history may have made me jaded. Still, I doubt my struggle is unique. I appreciate honesty and directness saturated with sincerity, genuine kindness, and integrity. Male friends are not perfect, but they are much easier to connect with. I do not find as many enjoy the mind games that women enjoy. Not for friendships.

I run a local craft (knitting and crochet) group in my area. Technically, we have about 85 members. Realistically, about only 20 show up for gatherings and usually the groups are no bigger than 8 at a time, depending on their schedules. It all works out. We chat mostly on Facebook and many enjoy the connections on Facebook enough without connecting in person.

Jackie is a fellow knitter in our local yarn knit/crochet group. She and I immediately clicked. Same sense of humor, but more than that. Sounds cheesy to say same wavelength but I have no other words. We “get” each other despite her being raised in the Midwest, and I am a West Coast girl. Only my tightest circle (and the few trusted groups of strangers on the internet) have an inkling of the struggles I have been going through. I had not planned on confiding in her. But, in one horrible moment and during a mental breakdown, I let it all out over text when I had no one else to talk to. It stunned me she did not get awkward and run away like most people do in this situation. Instead, she became my warrior sister and a great supporter. Our friendship became forged that day and has only grown stronger since. Not in bold strides, because of past trauma for each of us. We are each hesitant to believe anyone cares about us as much as we can care for others. It does not happen.

We are sincere women who do not play mind games, are direct, and have no hidden agendas. We both have a well-earned weariness from past deep traumas. However, each time we connect, we earn each other’s trust more.

Today she asked if she could take me to lunch. We had never done something so personal. I hesitated. She persisted. I relented and agreed. I have not felt like myself, in the way I did during those hours with her this afternoon, in years. Genuine friendship is a rare thing.

We connected, laughed, we let our barriers down, helped each other, made plans, and confided in each other. Our friendship grew to a new, deep, ocean level.

I am still bracing for something to happen. She will decide I am a dork. Or needy. Or stupid. Or she has too much on her own plate. Or something that has absolutely nothing to do with me, but I’ll never know the story. I am not sure I will ever fully emotionally invest in another human again in my lifetime. Recent events have scorched my soul.

Today was a precious gift. I felt hope again. Most people do not know what I am going through emotionally. Maybe health-wise, but not the entire story.

Her connection with me was priceless and was my lifeline. If she cancels all plans, this will still be an amazing thing she did for me that helped shift my life to the better path. I will always be grateful to her for that.

I tell you all this because we forget one human connecting with another may be the most important and life-affirming action to take place. You cannot buy it. It thwarts loneliness and depression. Improves an immune system. Enhances cognitive function and memory. It is a necessity after food, water, and shelter. Yet, today it seems we no longer do it. Rarely do it with a stranger. A smile or a sincere hello. Some gestures can have enormous affects.

Today was only a two-hour lunch, and it was a crater-level impact in my world. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Knit Patterns for Last Minute Gifts!

  Generations Purse Don’t panic if you need to make a gift quickly! Browse through this extensive list of ideas for small, free, fast, and cute knit patterns which are perfect as gifts! If nothing else, hopefully the list will inspire you on ideas! Have fun! I would absolutely love to see your finished projects in the comments section! And it would be fantastic to hear what patterns you think I should add to this list! Please let me know if you discover any patterns are crochet (oops!) or have a fee. They’ll be removed immediately as this list is just for free knit patterns.   Wee Knitting Needle Bag Knitting Needle Knitting Bag Lavender Sachet Simple iPhone Cozy, Two Ways "Grrr" Cute Funny Washcloth/Dishcloth Knitted Pocket Felted (1) Coin Purse or (2) Notions Purse "A Little Bird Told Me" Cute Small Handbag/Purse Christine Bag (this is really pretty!) Beginner's Luck Pouch Square Cake Wristlet Handbag/Purse The Little Coco Bag Swa

The Gaslighter — Haiku

  Contempt carves her soul He wants her pain to sustain His pleasure is cruel

Blind Hope is Magic - Haiku

  Blind hope is magic I won’t be stuck forever Deep breath, persevere Blind hope is my best weapon in surviving trauma and the depression episodes. During depression, I’m unable to envision experiencing joy once more. The blind faith takes away my fear of never escaping that black hole. If I am patient with myself, this trick works every time.  Photo is of a quick mixed media piece. I recommend mixed media art as a fantastic way to create little messages to yourself that you can put up on your mirror or fridge. As a reminder to show yourself compassion.  Or to provide yourself positive encouragement.